Hello awesome people!
For the past year I’ve been having trouble sleeping and it affected my whole life. I did a lot of research and I learned that when you get a good night sleep you have more energy during the day, your mind is alert, you have a better mood, your immune system works properly, and getting a good night sleep can even help you stay at a healthy weight.
And so here are 7 tips to get you relaxed before bed.
1.Write your thoughts in a journal. - Often times we can’t fall asleep because of our racing thoughts. We lay there trying to fall asleep, but we keep thinking about what happened during the day or all the things we have to do tomorrow.
When we write our thoughts down in a journal, we unload them from our mind, and we can peacefully fall asleep. Keep a journal and a pen next to your bed, and write down your thoughts on the events of the day and your to do list for tomorrow, download them from your brain onto paper and allow your mind to relax.
2. Turn off all electronic devices : that includes your phone, your laptop, your tv, your iPad. Studies have shown that the blue light emitted from these devices keeps our brain in alert mode, and disrupts your sleep-wake cycle.
It is very tempting, when you can’t fall asleep, to scroll through your feed and keep yourself entertained, but that will over stimulate your brain and it will make it impossible to fall asleep. Turn your phone on silent and put it away an hour before you go to bed. This way your brain has a chance to slow down and get ready for sleep.
3. Drink a warm, calming drink such as hot chocolate ,a cup of warm milk or herbal tea with honey. The best herbal teas to help you get a good night sleep are chamomile and peppermint.
4. Aromatherapy : Certain scents such as lavender and peppermint have been shown to reduce anxiety and improve sleep quality. To help relax before bedtime, try aromatherapy with essential oils before going to sleep. You can use a diffuser, or drop a few drops on your pillow and take slow, deep breaths, to fully savor the relaxing scents. This is my favorite aromatherapy diffuser:
5: Listen to nature sounds : Nature sounds like the ocean waves, the sound of rain, or a river in a forrest, will relax your mind and body and allow you to sleep peacefully through the night.Experiment with different sounds to find out what works best for you. You can find videos on YouTube with your favorite nature sounds or you can buy a sound machine like the Hatch Restore Sound Machine:
6. Breathing exercises :By focusing intentionally on your breath, you allow your mind to relax and your body will follow. A good breathing exercise to do before bed is the 4-4-8 breath. Allow your lips to gently part. Inhale through your nose for a count of 4 seconds. Hold your breath for 4 seconds. And exhale for 8 seconds, through your lips. Repeat 4 to 8 times.
7. Let your muscles fully relax with a progressive muscle relaxation. Here is how to do a progressive muscle relaxation: Start by laying down in a comfortable position. Take a deep breath, hold it , and then exhale. Then, starting with your toes, you tense a group of muscles as you breathe in, and then relax them as you breathe out. Work your way up to your calves, your thighs, your stomach, your arms and to your head. Finish by taking a deep breath and as you exhale allow all the tension to leave your body.
Those were the 7 tips to relax before bed. I hope they helped you get a restful sleep and that you will wake up refreshed and ready for your day!
This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
I’d love to hear from you, leave me a comment and let me know which relaxation technique worked best for you.
You are awesome!